Finally! It’s time! Spring time is when the snow melts away and the flowers start blooming. However, with the joys of spring, there are some dangers to your home. By spending a little extra time preparing for spring, you can save a lot of time, money, and effort down the line. So before you sit down, relax, and enjoy the warm weather, follow these tips to save your plumbing systems from damage.
- Check your exposed pipes along your property. These are the most susceptible to damages throughout the harsh winter. Any unusual substances on the pipes can indicate a leak somewhere, which could lead to damage throughout your home.
- Check your septic systems. If your home has a septic tank, check for damp areas and puddles. These are clues to septic system backups, clogs, and more. Contact EcoClean right away if you notice foul odors and puddles in your yard.
- Check your toilets and faucets. Pay attention to any irregularities. Making sure these are working properly should be part of your regular home maintenance.
- Clear your yard of the debris from winter storms. Make sure nothing is blocking drains for the rain and snow melt. This will prevent future water damage. During this yard work, if you plan on using a hose or the outdoor faucets, just remember that just because it is warm during the day, doesn’t mean it’ll be warm at night. Pipes can burst at temperatures even as high as 55 degrees. Make sure you prepare the house for the cold spring nights.
- Finally, your sump pump should be tested. This may be the most important step of them all. In case of flooding, the sump pump will protect your home’s foundation from water damage. Pour water into the pump to make sure the device is working. If the sump pump fails during a storm, you’ll be in line for expensive repairs.
- If you know you have roots entering your sewer system, now is the best time to perform a Root Foam Treatment to kill the roots. As the trees begin to bloom the roots are most active and this is the best time to perform the Root Foam Treatment. Give us a call today to schedule a Root Foam Treatment and prolong the life of your sewer system.
If you feel you have found something suspicious in your home’s plumbing, it won’t hurt to get a second opinion from us. To make an appointment, call 207-420-8962, we’d love to help!